Landlord Certificate - NEW 2021 Changes

New For Tax Year 2021

  • Form LRC-140, Landlord Certificate has replaced Form LC-142, Landlord Certificate.
  • Landlords who file Form LRC-140 no longer need to provide each tenant household with a Landlord Certificate.
  • Landlords with five or more tenants occupying any property are required to file Landlord Certificates through myVTax.
  • Landlords must complete one Landlord Certificate for each property owned that has its own SPAN and where one or more units are rented.
  • Landlords are not required to report net rent paid, except when the tenant’s rent is subsidized.
  • If you are the owner of a for-profit or a not-for-profit mobile home park or a land trust or cooperative, see instructions on how to file Form LRC-147, Statement of Rent for Mobile Home Park Lot Rent, Co-ops, Trusts.

There is more information posted on the Vermont Department of Taxes website

We have also requested guidance on how to report any VERAP money received (we believe that it won't be reportable on this form but need official Tax Department confirmation of that).

Two Sides - 11/10/21

Last week, Seven Days ran an article on a specific landlord.  The article details grievances and complaints by tenants against the landlord. The specifics can be found here.

The landlord in the article provided a response to the article by way of Letters to the Editor. 

Landlord-tenant issues can be complicated.  Landlords should be providing rental properties that are in compliance with minimum housing codes, and Tenants should be reporting issues, allowing access, and not damaging the property.  Both parties to the landlord-tenant relationship have responsibilities - it is not a one-way street.     

Free Recycling Bins & Compost Pails for Multi-Unit Housing Sites

If you're a landlord of multi-unit housing in one of CVSWMD's 19 member towns (*see list below), we have free equipment and services (limits apply) to help you manage recycling, food scraps and other solid waste management at your housing sites.

 Assistance may include: 

  • Free Compost pails for tenants
  • Free Recycling bins for tenants
  • Free Compost bins and Green Cones for on-site composting (comes with peripherals and training)
  • Onsite Compost consultation 
  • Signage for recycling, food scrap and trash stations
  • Reimbursement for Food scrap hauling for the first two months for eligible sites 
  • Reimbursement for projects like building compost bins and tote enclosures

This is a USDA grant-funded program that is available through mid-September only.

Landlords of qualifying multi-unit properties in CVSWMD member towns can learn more and apply on our website. 

Once you fill out our form, we’ll set up a site visit and get your tenants the equipment and information they need to manage waste better!

 First come, first served, while supplies and funding last. 

CVSWMD member towns include: Barre City, Barre Town, Berlin, Bradford, Calais, Chelsea, Duxbury, East Montpelier, Fairlee, Hardwick, Middlesex, Montpelier, Orange, Plainfield, Tunbridge, Walden, Washington, Williamstown, and Woodbury.

Preventing Frozen Pipes

Helpful and useful information on how to prevent frozen pipes.  This information can also be provided to Tenants.

PDF Document


COVID-19 Information - UPDATED 3/18/2020

Currently available resources include the following:

Latest updates from CDC

Vermont Department of Health Information

Unemployment Benefits – the Department of Labor is fast tracking unemployment benefits for any person who has lost (temporarily or permanently) their job due to COVID-19.  For tenants, particularly those in the restaurant and bar industry, who are not able to work, that will provide some economic relief.  Details can be found here:

 ****We understand that the Unemployment system is completely bogged down, please be patient and keep trying****

Small Business Administration – some resources are becoming available for business owners through this program.  Like many of these, the details are constantly changing and regulations loosening each day. 


VEDA – also has funding that is coming available. 


The State is collecting data on the impact to businesses so they can seek relief and federal support for the state.  The email address to send information to about the impact to your business is  For rental property owners, one ask is to make emergency housing funds available for tenants to request for the payment of April and May’s rent.   This short-term rent payment issue is one of the larger impacts to rental property owners.

3/14/2020 - Update

As we all navigate COVID-19, VT Landlord wanted to provide you with some resources and information.  The landscape is quickly evolving with this issue and we will do our very best to keep you informed of issues that can or will impact your rental properties.  

You can find Governor Scott's Executive Order made on 3/13/2020 by clicking the link.  

For general information, the following information posters can be placed in Common Areas and office spaces:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Fact Sheet 

Conronavirus Symptoms Poster

More general information can be found at the CDC Website and the Vermont Department of Health website. 

The Vermont Department of Labor has information for employers and workers related to unemployment benefits.   From their newsletter this morning:

Business Impact and SBA Loans
ACCD is asking any Vermont business impacted by the response to COVID-19 virus to share these impacts with the Agency through a dedicated email address:

In addition, the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act recently passed by Congress expanded the Small Business Act’s definition of a disaster to include Coronavirus (COVID-19).  As a result, the SBA will be able to provide Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDLs) under a Governor’s Certification Disaster Declaration. In order for SBA to consider an EIDL declaration, the Governor must demonstrate that at least five small businesses in a disaster area have suffered substantial economic injury as a result of the disaster. 

The Agency is working to identify businesses that meet the Small Business Administration’s threshold for SBA disaster loan assistance.  Businesses are asked to complete an assessment form (available on the ACCD website at and return it to as soon as possible to help us advocate for eligibility. Our goal is to gain information in each of the 14 counties across the state.  We are looking for data on impacts in the following areas:

  • Economic Injury
  • Supply Chain
  • Workforce (Including that caused by lack of childcare)
  • Business Travel
  • Visitor Travel and Tourism Activities
  • Remote Work Capabilities

The Agency has also established a hotline so that businesses may call to report impacts and be directed to resources: (802) 461-5143. The hotline will be staffed Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 

A few recommendations for housing providers to consider:
  1. If a tenant is officially quarantined or self-isolating - please respect their request to not show their rental unit during this time.
  2. Treat any information relayed from tenants as confidential - it is a medical issue and should not be disclosed to other residents.  
  3. If you have common areas in your building, it is recommended to increase cleaning and sanitizing of commonly touched surfaces such as door knobs, counters, light switches, etc. 
  4. Do you have processes for your tenants to pay their rent electronically?  It is relatively simple to set up ACH payments with your tenants.  Your banking institution will have more information.  There are also online payment platforms such as Venmo, Paypal, RentTrack, and others can can be utilized for payments.
As a general reminder:

Stay home if ill
  • If you or a family member is sick, stay home.
  • Symptoms of COVID-19 are very similar to the flu – fever, body ache, coughing – and with either virus you are likely to get well if you get plenty of bed rest and drink lots of fluids.
  • Avoid medical settings in general unless necessary. Healthcare facilities are at capacity. If you are ill in any way, call your doctor’s office first before going in.
  • Do not go to the emergency room unless essential. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs. If you have symptoms like cough, fever or other respiratory problems, contact your regular doctor first.
  • Consider home preparedness ahead of time, stocking up on extra groceries, medicines and other supplies that you may need if you have to be home for an extended period.
  • Be ready to help one another. Talk to your neighbors by phone and deliver food or other necessities to the doorstep for people who need to stay home.
Social distancing
  • Avoid going places where other people are gathered; many public events are cancelled.
  • Avoid physical contact with others, such as handshaking. Stay 6 feet away from others.
  • Conduct your daily business as much as possible by phone, email or websites, or try to postpone non-essential personal errands.
  • Even if you are not ill, avoid visiting hospitals, long-term care facilities or nursing homes to the extent possible.
  • Stay away from people who are ill, especially if you are at higher risk for coronavirus.
  • Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids, eat healthy foods and manage your stress to keep your immunity strong.
Personal care and sanitation
  • Wash hands often for at least 20 seconds, using warm water and plenty of soap.
  • Avoid touching your face, eyes and nose with unwashed hands.
  • Cover coughs and sneezes, using a tissue or your forearm, not your hands.
  • If soap and water are not available for hand washing, use hand sanitizer.
  • Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects (like doorknobs and light switches). Regular household cleaners are effective.
  VT Landlord has a Forum on the website in the Member section.  This is a good resource for Association members to stay connected and share information.